Hi everyone! This is Maria Lillepruun with you today, here with my new tutorial on altering an interesting object – it is something in between a box and a book.
I wanted to create a tiny secret green forest, locked away from those who are just not living a life aware enough… Many people, including myself, unfortunately, are always busy focusing on the future and not aware of the present. This creation of mine is meant to remind me, as well as everybody who likes it, that we should actually try to experience our lives better, to reflect more on all the things we do… Because if we keep concentrating on the future goals all the time, a giant part of our present life will stay hidden behind a big heavy door with a huge lock on it.
Here is the video on how I created the “Into the Green” altered object. I used our Lindy´s Gang sprays, magicals and embossing powder, of course.
- I primed the plywood box with white gesso and glued some patterned paper on it, both inside and outside. I later added some chipboard and coarse texture paste here and there to create a more complex background.
- Then I colored the background using a mix of sprays, such as Ponderosa Pines Olive Starburst, Tawny Turquoise Moon Shadow Mist, Mad Hatter Mint Starburst and Dark Chocolate Truffle Starburst.
- Next, I prepared the chipboards by embossing them with Queen Sheba´s Silver embossing powder.
- After that, I glued all the decorative elements inside the box. I added some more color to them with Starburst sprays Ponderosa Pines Olive and Glory of the Seas Gold. Then I also added an interesting effect by heating Queen Sheba´s Silver EP, poured over the decorations.
- The outer cover underwent the same procedure. I also added some finishing dew drops and toppings to the floral 3D elements.
- I needed a thicker paint to color the sides of the box, so I mixed the Jingle Bells Shimmer Magicals (Silent Night Silver, Frosty Forest Green, Frolic in the Forest Green) with white gesso and applied them as acrylic paints on all the side surfaces.
Now I´ll show you some pictures. Here are some close-ups of the cover of the box, including the heavy lock I mentioned above.
And here´s the hidden forest…
The backside of the altered box.
- Starbursts: Ponderosa Pines Olive, Mad Hatter Mint, Glory of the Seas Gold, Dark Chocolate Truffle
- Moon Shadow Mist: Tawny Turquoise Vintage Spray
- Magicals: Jingle Bells Shimmer Magicals (Silent Night Silver, Frosty Forest Green, Frolic in the Forest Green)
- EP: Queen Sheba´s Silver
- Patterned paper (“Garden Party” by 7 Dots Studio), white gesso (Deco Art), Paper texture paste, 3D Gloss Gel, flowers, microbeads (Prima Marketing Inc), stencil (Tim Holtz), chipboard (Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts, 2Crafty), embossing dabber (Ranger), handmade roses (Freetany Flowers), colored crackle varnish (ScrapEgo), Inka-Gold paints (VivaDecor), dew drops (Fabrika Decoru).
Thank you very much for your attention!