Hi friends! Preeti Datta (aka Dutt Preety) here. I’d like to wish all the wonderful Lindy’s Gang fans a colorful & beautiful 2019.
For today’s post, I’ve created a Grungy Vintage Art Journal Spread, that I’ve called Creativity Takes Courage.
Art Journaling is one of my favorite forms of creative expression because there are no rules to it & it is a great way to experiment with different compositions & come up with something new and interesting. Ultimately, it is about enjoying the creative process & learning from it.
Step 1: I work in a 5 by 7 inch size sketchbook. To begin, I adhered 2 pages together to make them thicker and then applied white gesso to prepare them for mixed media work. To start building the background, I mixed modeling paste with Lindy’s Magicals- Milk Chocolate Brown & Dark Chocolate Truffle to create a dark brown paste & applied that through a stencil onto the pages.
Step 2: Now comes the fun part, adding colors. I usually apply similar shades of the same color, dry the pages and then move onto the second color. I started with the darker colors- browns & greys using Lindy’s gorgeous sprays- Incandescent Copper, Mission Bells Brown & Screamin’ Banshee Black.
Step 3: Then, add shades of blue using Lindy’s Sprays- Hydrangea Blue, Tibetan Poppy Teal and Azure Sea Asters. Then dried these before moving onto the next color.
Step 4: Next, add shades of orange using Lindy’s Sprays- Red Hot Poker Orange and Canna Lilly Burnt Orange.
Step 5: Prepare your mdf gears for layering. I wanted a metallic look along with a little patina like blue, so first, heat emboss the gears with Lindy’s Embossing Powders- Midnight Bronze and Twilight Bronze Slate, then dab on versamark sticky ink onto some parts of the gears and sprinkle on Desert Moon Turquoise Embossing Powder & heat embossed again.
Step 6: Colour pieces of gauze with Lindy’s Spray- Red Hot Poker Orange.
Step 7: Next add background stamping with archival inks and distress the edges of the pages with distress inks to give them an aged, vintage look.
Step 8: Create a visually pleasing composition by layering all the elements including thread, cord, gears, gauze, old book pages, stickers, burlap & die cuts, adhere everything using soft matte gel and foam tape (for added dimension).
To finish, apply a little vintage gold wax to some of the elements and create ink splatters to lend cohesion to the whole piece.
Here are some photos of the finished Art Journal Spread…
- Starburst Sprays- Red Hot Poker Orange, Canna Lilly Burnt Orange, Mission Bells Brown, Hydrangea Blue, Tibetan Poppy Teal, Azure Sea Asters, Screamin’ Banshee Black
- Moon Shadow Mist- Incandescent Copper
- Magicals- Milk Chocolate Brown & Dark Chocolate Truffle from the Sweet Treats Shimmer Magicals Set
- Embossing Powders- Midnight Bronze, Twilight Bronze Slate, Desert Moon Turquoise from the Sweet Treats EP Set
- Tim Holtz Paper Dolls, Quote Chips, Metallic Stickers, Distress Inkpads, Archival Inkpads, Mudra Craft Stamps mini stamps, Hero Arts Rubber Stamp, Mdf gears, Gauze, Gems, Prima’s Soft Matte Gel, Heavy White Gesso, Vintage Gold Wax & Modelling Paste, 13 arts Technical Stencil and Versamark watermark Inkpad.
Thanks a lot for your precious time.