Hi friends! Preeti Datta (Dutt Preety) on the Lindy’s blog today to show you step by step how to create a Vintage Mixed Media Canvas using Lindy’s Gang Sprays and Embossing Powder.
Today we will use only 5 Lindy’s Sprays and 1 Embossing Powder to create a beautiful canvas. This can be used for home decor or gifting. You can customise the canvas and add as many embellishments as you like. I have kept this relatively simple because I wanted to showcase the gorgeous background created using Lindy’s fabulous sprays. The same techniques can be used to create cards, tags, altered projects, art journal pages etc.
To begin, apply Heavy White Gesso to the Canvas Board to prepare it for mixed media work.
To create background texture, apply Platinum Crackle Paste through a stencil onto the background. (Use whichever texture paste you like, we have used Platinum Crackle Paste here as it crackles nicely and has a beautiful vintage shine.)
Now comes the fun part, adding colour to the canvas using Lindy’s beautiful sprays. Spray the canvas with water and then using a brush (it gives better control while colouring) add colour one by one to different areas. We have used three Lindy’s sprays here- Time Travel Teal, Rusty Lantern Lime & Tawny Turquoise. Let the colours naturally mix and then dry the canvas. I absolutely love this background! These three colours work perfectly together to give a beautiful vintage look.
Next, we will prepare different elements for layering. Firstly, we will heat emboss some chipboard pieces. I like the natural color of the chipboard pieces so to keep that color intact and add a subtle vintage gold shine, we will heat emboss them using Lindy’s Angel Wings Gold EP. The round frame is heat embossed twice for extra shine and dimension. Using Lindy’s Gang Gripper while heat embossing makes it really easy to hold chipboard without burning your fingers. This tool is a real lifesaver and a must-have for all heat embossing.
Now, color some gauze/cheese cloth by spraying it with water and then with Lindy’s Red Hot Poker Orange Spray. Then dry the gauze.
Next, color a few pieces of lace using two shades of Teal Sprays-Tibetan Poppy Teal and Time Travel Teal. (Teals are my all-time favorite hue and Lindy’s has the most gorgeous teals. I think I use them the most out of all my collection.)
Now, we will create some ephemera for layering underneath the photo and sentiment. For this, use scraps of textbook paper. Color these with sprays (Rusty Lantern Lime, Time Travel Teal & Red Hot Poker Orange) and also stamp on some of the blank pieces with text stamps. Distress the edges of the papers with brown archival ink. (Only a few of these will be ultimately used in the current composition but it is always good to have different options available so that we can mix and match the colors and see what looks best before gluing it down.)
Now, gather all the elements for layering. Create a visually pleasing composition by layering all the elements including chipboard pieces, quote chip, a vintage photo, vintage ephemera, old book pages, colored lace, gauze and sisal. For dimension, add chipboard pieces or 3D foam tape underneath the photo. Adhere everything using a strong glue.
My Favorite 6 Ideas for finishing a Mixed Media Canvas
In the end, we will add a few finishing touches which are common to most vintage mixed media pieces. These steps bring the whole piece together and lend cohesion to the composition.
- Dry brush the canvas with heavy white gesso
- Adhere a few pearls and gems for extra shine
- Stamp a little in the background using archival inks
- Rub on vintage wax on the edges for some extra shine
- Distress the edges of the canvas with brown archival inks and lastly,
- Create ink splatters by using a fan brush. For white and black splatters use watered down acrylic paints/heavy gesso and for brown splatters use Lindy’s Tawny Turquoise Vintage Spray.
Here are some photos of the finished Vintage Canvas…
- Starburst Sprays- Time Travel Teal, Tibetan Poppy Teal, Rusty Lantern Lime & Red Hot Poker Orange
- Moon Shadow Mists- Tawny Turquoise
- Embossing Powder- Angel Wings Gold EP
- Tim Holtz Quote Chips, Vintage photo & Archival Inkpads; Prima Marketing & Finnabair’s Heavy White Gesso, Heavy Black Gesso, Platinum Crackle Paste, Stencil & Stamps; Stamperia Mixed Media Glue; Mudra Stamps Chipboards; Versamark Watermark Inkpad and Dovecraft’s Embossing Heat Tool.
Thanks a lot for your precious time