Hi friends! Preeti Datta (Dutt Preety) here, I hope you are having a great week.
For today’s post, I’ve created a Pair of Floral Mixed Media Tags. Winter is gone & it is time for spring & summer, so I wanted to make something colorful & happy to celebrate the new season.
I’ve used Lindy’s gorgeous new Starburst Squirts along with some of my all-time favorite Lindy’s supplies. Tags are a lot of fun to make & they can be gifted to friends/relatives or be hung on the wall as decorative pieces.
Step 1: Start by applying heavy white gesso to 2 XL sized MDF tags and 2 regular sized MDF tags. Also apply white gesso to the MDF frame & doily, to prepare them for coloring & mixed media work.
Step 2: To create background texture & interest, apply modeling paste through 2 patterned stencils onto the tags, use the same stencil to cover the XL and regular tag, this will lend cohesion to the end pieces. I remove any excess modeling paste from the edges of the tags and then once they are dry, distress & darken their edges with black archival ink, this gives them better definition. Then adhere the regular tags to the XL tags using Heavy Body Gel.
Step 3: Now comes the fun part! To color the tags, I use Lindy’s Gorgeous New Starburst Squirts. These come in beautiful colors & they give wonderful shine to the project.
- For the first tag, use Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Polite People Purple for the XL tag and Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Loonie Toonie Teal for the regular tag. Both of these colors look amazing together. Spray the tags with water and Lindy’s Flat Fabio Spray- Sidewalk Chalk to blend the colors & give a natural, flowing look.
- For the second tag, use Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Emerald Eh?! for the XL tag & Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Banff Blue for the regular tag. At this point, I do not want the colors to mix too much, therefore, I dry them. I will mix them at the end, very lightly. So that the focus remains towards the center of the tags.
Step 4: Now prepare some of the elements for layering onto the tags, heat emboss the mdf frame & doily with Lindy’s beautiful Magic Moon Pearls Embossing Powder. This gives a truly magical & shimmery shine to projects & is my new favorite for adding white.
Step 5: I color pieces of lace for the tags.
- For the first piece, use Lindy’s Starburst Squirts-Polite People Purple, Loonie Toonie Teal & Flat Fabio Sprays- Hibiscus Rose & Urban Amethyst.
- For the second lace, use Lindy’s Starburst Squirts- Banff Blue, Emerald Eh?! & Flat Fabio Spray-Luscious Lime. Spray the laces with water and then add the colors, one by one, and keep drying in between to get lace that matches the projects perfectly.
Step 6: Heat emboss some beautiful die cuts using Lindy’s Gang Midnight Pewter Embossing Powder. This is one of my favorite dark embossing powders, as it is somewhere between black and grey & gives a wonderful shine to die cuts.
Step 7: Now gather all the elements, layer and adhere them to get a visually pleasing composition. I’ve used Quilled Flowers here as my focal elements, it is always nice to combine different forms of art & come up with something new & interesting. I distress the edges of the quote chips with archival ink to give them better definition & then all the elements are adhered using a strong glue or matte gel.
Step 8: To add additional shine & texture to the tags, apply soft matte gel around the central composition (around the flower and the die cut) using a soft brush and then add the mini & regular art stones and sprinkle on the glitter.
Step 9: To finish, add a teeny tiny bit of color to the XL Tags, to lend cohesion to the pieces.
- For the first tag, add Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Loonie Toonie Teal to the upper left and lower right corners of the XL tag using a small brush then spray with water & dry the piece.
- For the second tag, add Lindy’s Starburst Squirt- Banff Blue to the upper left and lower right corners of the XL tag. Doing this makes them part of the whole & integrates the design.
Here are some photos of the Floral Mixed Media Tags…
- Starburst Squirts: Loonie Toonie Teal, Banff Blue, Polite People Purple, Emerald Eh?!
- Flat Fabio Sprays: Sidewalk Chalk, Luscious Lime, Hibiscus Rose, Urban Amethyst
- Embossing Powders: Midnight Pewter, Magic Moon Pearls
Mudra Craft Stamp Stencils, Fantasy Dies, Ranger’s Archival Inkpads and Distress clear glitter, Tim Holtz Quote Chips, Prima Finnabair’s Heavy White Gesso, Heavy Body Gel, Soft Matte Gel, Mini & Regular Art Stones, Fabrika Decoru’s Universal Glue, Versamark Watermark Inkpad, MDF tags, frame & doily.
Thanks a lot for your precious time.